Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mentoring

As many of our readers know, mentoring is one of my main passions in life (Jennifer). So I am thrilled to announce that last night, we kicked off a six-week course for crew on board that are interested in learning more about mentoring and being mentors for younger crew members on board. When one of our chaplains on board mentioned that she really wanted to run this course, I (of course!) offered to help train. Last night we had our first session and it went really well. We're going to run the course on both Friday and Saturday nights. We had 40 people sign up which is so encouraging! Last night, I trained on the Mentoring Continuum and the Constellation Model of Mentoring Relationships (both are concepts that I've learned since joining the ship). Before coming to the ship, I worked at a mentoring program for at-risk youth, so most of my knowledge of mentoring was between a caring, stable adult and an at-risk youth. Since coming to the ship, my understanding of mentoring has broadened quite a bit and I've become more familiar with the adult-to-adult type of mentoring. Over the past several months, I've actually been mentoring four younger female crew members which has been an absolute joy!

No comments: